According to Park Associates, most households in the US pay an average of $64 per month for internet. However, you will find internet plans available in a wide range of prices per month, speeds, connection types, and availability in various areas.
You need to consider maximum speeds and monthly prices before choosing an internet plan. Some of the other factors that affect your monthly charges for the internet service are as follows:
- Installation charges
- Equipment fees
- Internet connection type
- Price hikes
- Annual contracts
- Extra fees
- Data caps
What is the Cost of Internet per Month?
|Internet Connection Type||Maximum Speed||Availability in the US||Price|
|Fiber||5,000 Mbps||43%||Starting at $29.99per month|
|DSL||100 Mbps||89%||Starting at $37.00 per month|
|Cable||1,000 Mbps||88%||Starting at $19.99per month|
|Satellite||100 Mbps||99%||Starting at $39.99 per month|
|4G LTE||100 Mbps||N/A*||Starting at $25.00per month|
|5G||1,000 Mbps||N/A*||Starting at $25.00 per month|
|Fixed wireless||100 Mbps||46%||Starting at $25.00per month|
*Availability and offers are subject to change.
Your internet connection type is the most crucial factor that determines the monthly price of your Wi-Fi plan. In addition, it allows you to have specific internet speeds and the quality of the internet connection.
Internet Cost and Its Availability
Most areas in the US have plenty of internet providers; however, you may not be able to find an array of providers in some rural areas. Therefore, your residential area determines the number of internet plans, speeds, and prices you will be paying per month.
Internet Cost and Extra Fees
Besides your monthly charges for the internet, you need to consider extra fees that come with sales tax, installation, and modem rental.These costs are included as hidden charges in most internet providers’ bills. Therefore, you need to check the extra amount you will have to pay before you sign up for an internet plan.
Avoid Paying Extra Fees for the Internet
You can minimize these extra costs or eliminate them entirely using the following tricks:
- Save your money on rental costs by purchasing your own router and modem.
- Look for promotions and deals that offer internet without installation costs. Contact servicio al cliente de Optimum for the best internet deals in the US.
- Get fiber internet from ISPs that include no extra charges in your total bill.
- Sign up for an Optimum Internet They impose no data caps, which means you can use as much data as you want without any limit.
- Check out some home internet plans that waive your installation or equipment rental.
Internet Cost and Price Hikes
Many internet providers offer low prices on their promotional internet packages. Once the promo period ends, their monthly price hikes up. Most fiber, satellite, and cable internet providers use this tactic to attract new customers.
Many times, these price hikes may not significantly increase your monthly costs.However, with time, you may notice how your internet plan has turned into a complete rip-off. Therefore, it is better to consider the following precautions while signing up for an internet plan:
- Double-check your bill to see if your provider has included price hikes in your bill. Also, add the numbers to check if the overall price remains the same as that mentioned on your bill.
- Look for an internet provider that offers a no-contract internet plan. In case the price goes up, this will allow you to cancel your subscription without paying an extra fee for termination.
- Get in touch with your provider’s customer support team to negotiate a deal by the end of your 12-month subscription.
- Choose an internet provider that has no price hikes buried in the internet bill.
Internet Cost and Data Caps
Some internet providers impose data caps to limit the internet data you can use per month. If you exceed the limit, your provider will add extra charges to your bill.
Therefore, you should choose a plan that gives you unlimited data to avoid paying overage fees.
Internet Cost and Annual Contracts
Your internet provider may ask you to sign an annual contract for your internet plan. This way, your contract will renew every year. However, if you want to cancel your subscription before your contract ends, it will require you to pay an early termination fee which may cost between $10 and $12 per month.
An annual contract may not affect you if you have had the same ISP for a while and you haven’t encountered any issues yet. But, it can be inconvenient if your provider delivers poor service or if you shift homes very frequently.
Internet Plans Without Annual Contracts
|Internet Plan||Connection Type||Download Speed||Price|
|Google Fiber 1 GIG||Fiber||1 Gbps||$70.00 per month|
|Cox Straightup Internet||Cable||50 Mbps||$50.00 per month|
|Xfinity Prepaid Internet||Cable||50 Mbps||$45.00 per month|
|CenturyLink Simply Unlimited Internet||DSL||100 Mbps||$50.00 per month|
All in All
It is best to compare different plans and see which one meets your requirements without exceeding your budget. If you are not sure about your overall bill, ask your provider if there are any annual contracts, data caps, extra fees, price hikes, or availability issues with your internet plan. Once you have all the details, you can choose your preferred high-speed internet plan accordingly.