If stuck in a scenario where you are a debtor or a creditor and want legal personnel to deal with your case, then you need to contact a debt defense lawyer. The ways of getting in touch with a debt collection defense attorneys Chicago:
- You need to find a debt defense lawyer nearest to you and call them, ask them about their experience in the collection law, and enquire if they deal with the Fair Debt Collection Practice Act.
- Look into the state bar association on the internet to get a list of lawyers operating in or near your area.
- Consumers with low income will be able to qualify for legal aid.
- People who are into service must contact the local JAG office.
- Seek people who have experienced the same situation you are going through and about the lawyer handling their case.
- Ask some other attorney you know from the past who has helped you with some other case about a good debt defense collection attorney.
- You may need to contact a bankruptcy attorney depending on the nature of your debt.
How will you understand that the lawyer you are talking to has a good understanding of consumer law?
There is a set question that will help you to determine whether the lawyer you are talking to has a good understanding of the consumer laws or not.
- Is consumer law a part of their service, or does the whole practice involve consumer representation?
- Have you dealt with cases like mine in the past? How many? What was the outcome of those cases?
- How will you accept the fee?
- What is the amount I will have to pay if I lose the case?
- Can you suggest any other attorney as I can not afford your fee?
While asking these questions, see how patient they are while answering. A lawyer must be patient in clearing all the doubts of their clients. Also, select a lawyer only if you are comfortable communicating with them. Check their disciplinary record and head over the internet to see the feedback from the customer.
While you go for the consultation, take all the necessary documents related to the debt. Also, if you have recorded your conversation with the debt collector, do take it with you too.